The Hockey Fanatic is pleased to bring you a new monthly feature with our NHL trade rumors. We will serve up our opinion on potential trades and the teams and players that might be involved. Of course we might even start the odd trade rumor or two. If you have heard a valid trade rumor and would like to share it with The Hockey Fanatic, please send us a tweet (@hockeyfanatics) https://twitter.com/hockeyfanatics or drop us an email.
With that let’s take a look at the top five NHL trade rumors for January 2013.
NHL Trade Rumors – January 2013
- Roberto Luongo – Vancouver Canucks – ok let us start with the one that has been on everyone’s mind. Ever since last spring when it appears as those Cory Schneider bumped Luongo as the Canucks number one goaltender reports said that Roberto Luongo would be traded. Keep in mind that Roberto Luongo has a no-trade clause and the fact that the asking price has gone up since t he start of the season. Where will Luongo be traded to? Well we suspect that there are potentially five teams in the mix. Potential Trade Destinations: Toronto Maple Leafs, Florida Panthers, Chicago Blackhawks, Edmonton Oilers, and Philadelphia Flyers. We would love to see the Oilers pick up Luongo but we cannot see the Canucks trading him within the division. Potential players going to Vancouver would be centre Sam Gagner, winger Ales Hemsky, winger Linus Omark and draft picks. The Canucks need a centerman, not sure if Gagner fits their needs. Also cannot see Bobby Lou going to arch-rival Chicago but they were previously kicking the tires. The most likely destination remains Toronto but should the season continue the way it has for the Flyers we could see the Flyers offering up some better players than the Leafs could in order to pick up the veteran netminder. Trade Prediction: We predict that if Luongo is traded during the season it will be to the Toronto Maple Leafs (although you would think that this trade would have happened by now). If he is traded after the season we think it will be the Philadelphia Flyers. Dark horse trade prediction: Edmonton Oilers.
- PK Subban – Montreal Canadiens – we thought that the Habs would have signed PK Subban by now, but as the days go by this looks more and more unlikely. There are a number of teams looking for a top four defenseman, let alone a top two D-man like Subban. Potential Trade Destinations: Edmonton Oilers, Anaheim Ducks, Philadelphia Flyers, Washington Capitals, or Detroit Red Wings. Trade Prediction: We think that the Oilers could offer a nice package for Subban but they have rookie puckmoving D-man Justin Schultz so we think that the trade destination will be the Detroit Red Wings. The Wings need someone to step in and fill the void (or at least part of it) left by the retirement of Nick Lidstrom. This just make sense. Dark horse trade prediction: Philadelphis Flyers. Subban has had a bit on a feud with Penguins star Sidney Crosby, as a result you have to think that with the status of Chris Pronger that they would be interested in PK.
- Bobby Ryan – Anaheim Ducks – it seems as though this guy has been on the trade block forever hasn’t it. Potential Trade Destinations: Philadelphia Flyers, Washington Capitals, Montreal Canadiens, Calgary Flames, and New Jersey Devils. Trade Prediction: Philadelphia Flyers. The Flyers love these types of players and have a few players whom the Ducks might be interested in. Dark horse trade prediction: New Jersey Devils.
- Nino Niederreiter – New York Islanders – Nino has requested a trade but the Islanders have said no chance. We will see how this plays out but should the Isles trade the young d-man it would have to be for a player who could play in the lineup today. Potential Trade Destinations: Colorado Avalanche, Ottawa Senators, Chicago Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks or Tampa Bay Lightning. Trade Prediction: Colorado Avalanche as the two teams have a history of making deals and both have young talent that could be exchanged. Dark horse trade prediction: Ottawa Senators.
- Johnathan Bernier – Los Angeles Kings – there has been lots of interest in Bernier dating back to last season. Things might heat up as there are a number of teams looking to upgrade in goal. Potential Trade Destinations: Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Philadelphia Flyers, Detroit Red Wings or Washington Capital. Trade Prediction: Toronto Maple Leafs. We have a feeling that if the Leafs cannot land Luongo that they will turn there sites to Bernier. Dark horse trade prediction: Edmonton Oilers.
There you have it, the top five NHL trade rumors for January 2013. Check back next month for an update to our trade rumors.